[Members One of Another 2]

1949 , Harlow (Essex)

No video

There’s no web video for this work.

Please do get in contact to discuss other ways you could view this work.

The development of the new town, Harlow

The film shows the land that is now Harlow New town as it was before building began. There are country lanes with few cars. We see Parndon Mill and river scenes. There are harvest scenes with tractor drawn reapers and binders and oats stacked and carted by horse. Cows and horses are in the field. There is a static shot of the Master Plan and then Frederick Gibberd, the chief planning officer, shows the plans to members of the Joint Parishes' Committee. The committee is standing in the open, locating the plan with geographical features. There is a shot of the Development Corporations' Offices in Grosvenor Square, London and then of the local office, a country house at Gilston, near Harlow. Portakabins that provided additional office space follow. Various visiting delegations are featured. These include delegations from Poland and Austria. All plant trees or shrubs. The film finishes with a Service of Dedication on land that is now the Chippingfield area of Harlow New Town. The congregationalists parade though Harlow Village before entering The Church of St. John the Baptist and All Saints.

Featured Buildings

Parndon Mill; Terlings, The Headquarters of the Harlow Development Corporation, Gilston; The Headquarters of the Harlow Development Corporation, Grosvenor Square, London; The Church of St. John the Baptist and All Saints, Harlow Village

Intertitles

A film record of Harlow New Town - continued.The area of the New Town being almost entirely rural, the few roads were mere lanes.And there was the river.Farming occupied virtually the whole area.The first step towards the construction of a New Town was the preparation of the Master Plan.This was done in 1947 by Mr. Frederick Gibberd.The Master Plan was approved by the Minister in 1949.Mr. Gibberd explains his plan to the Joint Parishes' Committee.The corporation has offices in Grosvenor Square W.1 until the spring of 1948.New Headquarters at Terlings, Gilston, Harlow were occupied on April 19th 1948.Additional office accommodation was added later.Various delegations visited the corporation and planted trees.June 1948 - A Polish delegation.November 1948 - An Austrian Delegation.Came also: The Epping RDC The Essex CC The LCC.On October 3rd 1948 a special service of dedication of the New Town was held on ground which is now part of Chippingfield.By the end of 1948 the preliminaries were over and construction was about to begin.

Other Places

Harlow Village; Gilston; London

Manifestations

[Members One of Another 2]

  • Barcode
    INV376159
    Canonical Title
    Unknown
    Carrier Type
    MP4 H264 digital
    Dimension
    Duration
    0:11:40
    Modification Date
    08/10/2015
    Parts
    Reference
    738600
  • Barcode
    INV315612
    Canonical Title
    Unknown
    Carrier Type
    MP4 H264 digital
    Dimension
    Duration
    0:11:40
    Modification Date
    08/10/2015
    Parts
    Reference
    738389
  • Barcode
    INV324124
    Canonical Title
    Unknown
    Carrier Type
    MP4 H264 digital
    Dimension
    Duration
    0:11:40
    Modification Date
    08/10/2015
    Parts
    Reference
    738178
  • Barcode
    INV358168
    Canonical Title
    Unknown
    Carrier Type
    DV digital
    Dimension
    Duration
    0:07:28
    Modification Date
    10/06/2015
    Parts
    Reference
    737872
  • Barcode
    INV367823
    Canonical Title
    Unknown
    Carrier Type
    master digital
    Dimension
    Duration
    0:07:28
    Modification Date
    09/06/2015
    Parts
    Reference
    737839
  • Activities
    Barcode
    INV173973
    Canonical Identifier
    TB 1281
    Canonical Title
    Unknown
    Carrier Type
    BetacamSP tape
    Dimension
    Identifier
    Modification Date
    30/07/2008
    Parts
    Reference
    674494
  • Activities
    Barcode
    INV170420
    Canonical Identifier
    TB 100
    Canonical Title
    Unknown
    Carrier Type
    Umatic tape
    Dimension
    Identifier
    Modification Date
    22/07/2008
    Parts
    Reference
    672907
  • Activities
    Barcode
    INV247317
    Canonical Identifier
    A-673
    Canonical Title
    Unknown
    Carrier Type
    16mm film
    Colour Type
    colour+bw
    Has Sound
    N
    Identification Notes
    Neg / Pos Type (data migration 25/06/2021): camera
    Identifier
    Image Polarity
    neg
    Modification Date
    25/06/2021
    Parts
    Reference
    561038
    Sound
    silent

Copyright restrictions apply.

Please see our terms of use. Films on this website are provided for personal viewing. Should you wish to use the films in any other way please contact eafa@uea.ac.uk

terms of use

The data for this page was generated on Tue, 18 Jan 2022 15:51:41 +0000. Click to regenerate this page .